In what sounds like a broken record, yet another hotel group has been hit by computer system malware, possibly compromising many guests personal and credit card information. This malware did not target a specific hotel brand, but instead a group that physically owns a number of hotels. Overall the number of impacted hotels is 20.
In the hotel world, each building may be part of a larger brand such as Marriott, IHG, Hyatt, or Starwood to name a few (these were all brands included in this breach). While they may on the surface look like each building is owned by that brand, in reality each hotel is often owned by a group or by individuals that use the brand for advertising and some back end booking systems. In this case, the group that actually owned each property was hit by a malware attack.
Since this was a property owner and not the brand, this breach was unique in that it crossed 4 different hotel brands. Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt and IHG hotel groups were impacted by this breach, a total of 20 individual hotels. Take a look below for the full list of impacted hotels.
- Boca Raton Marriott - Boca Raton, FL
- Dallas Fort Worth Marriott - Fort Worth, TX
- Equinox Resort - Manchester Village, VT
- Hotel Chicago - Chicago, IL
- Hyatt Centric - Santa Barbara, CA
- Intercontinental Tampa - Tampa, FL
- Le Meridian Arlington, Arlington, VA
- Renaissance San Diego - San Diego, CA
- Royal Palm - Miami, FL
- San Diego Marriott - La Jolla, CA
- Sheraton Music City - Nashville, TN
- Sheraton Pentagon City - Arlington, VA
- The Hotel Minneapolis - Minneapolis, MN
- The Westin - Pasadena, CA
- The Westin - Philadelphia, PA
- The Westin - Snowmass Village, CO
- The Westin D.C. City Center - Washington D.C.
- Westin - Fort Lauderdale, FL
That is the entire list of impacted hotels. I've actually had stays booked with the Arlington Le Meridien for an event I was attending, but we stayed with friends instead... maybe a good move in the end due to these breaches.
Many of the impacted dates reach all the way back to March of 2015. So if you stayed at any of the hotels in the last year and a half, you might want to keep a close watch on your credit report for a while.
Rocket Scientist, Travel Junkie, and Ruler of the 4th Moon of Omicron Persei 8